Cash Drawer Won’t Open
This is very common and usually an easy fix. The cash drawer is normally controlled by the receipt printer.
- Check to make sure the power is on to the receipt printer.
- There is a cable that runs from the Receipt printer to the Cash Drawer, make sure it’s plugged in.
- Shut the Receipt printer off, wait a minute and then turn back on. Try unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable if available.
- Restart the entire computer.
- If you have a USB printer go to Device Manager, expand the USB Controller and change settings to all USB Root Hubs. Power Management tab. Uncheck “Allow computer to turn off device to save power” Hit OK.
If still unable to open the cash drawer many have a manual release switch located underneath usually toward the back half of the cash drawer. Or if you have the KEY use that to release the drawer.
On a personal note, I have experienced less headaches by using serial receipt printers as opposed to USB printers. But with the lack of serial ports on most new computers USB printers are more common.